Wednesday, August 25, 2010

First day of school


Is summer really over? Can it be true? It has been a bitter sweet beginning to our school year this time around. All my boys are in school now. Ty in 4th grade, Shay in 1st grade, and Cade in Preschool. I have really enjoyed having them home this summer and am not really ready for them to go back yet. We didn't get to do all the fun things we had planned to do this summer and starting school makes summer feel so final. Like we've lost our chance to play and have fun. Maybe it means I can't handle my boys growing up. Even though I love what big helpers they are, I still want them to be little and fun and ... Maybe I just don't want them growing up cuz then it means I am getting older? hahaha Who knows.

But they were so excited to get back to school. The school shopping was so fun. Watching them get to pick out their own shoes, clothes (with a little persuasion from mom), backpacks, etc. was a lot of fun. Seeing all three in their own little personalities, starting to break away from each other and like their own style, their own things. Cade is big into camo and Batman this year. Shay likes Lego Batman and Lego Indiana Jones. Ty wants to look grown up and look "good" he says. Shay is still a little uncertain about being gone all day and having to eat lunch at school and recess on the big play ground. But after today I think he is really going to enjoy school. He is so smart and loves to read. He just needs to get used to it i guess. Cade was sad this morning that he could not go to "the big school". His school doesn't start for another week so he was a little heart broken to not get to go out with his brothers.

I think they wait another week to give moms a chance to recuperate from the first week of school with the other kids. Sheesh! I was just fine dropping Ty off. Shay, I got a little choked up but held it together. . . til we got home. Then I lost it. It was too quiet! Was it the fighting and arguing that was no longer present in my home that made me breakdown? Or the fact that they were really gone off to school ALL DAY!? I don't know which, but I had to control myself for Cade's sake. Haha he kept looking at me like "What in the world is your problem, mom?!"

Good times! Good times! Now I get to experience this from a whole new perspective with a little girl. I hope it is as entertaining, educational, and fun as it has been with my boys.

1 comment:

  1. You're so funny! Riley will FOR SURE be as much, if not more, fun (in totally different ways), than the boys are. Just blame the tears and emotions on being pregnant, it'll be the last time you get to do that. :)

    ReplyDelete